I was reading a blog I follow and the author had her own August Goals post (which you can check out here), and it inspired me to write one of my own! Thanks Brey!
It’s so hard for me to believe how quickly this summer has gone. Here’s what was going on for me for the first two months of summer:
- In the middle of June, packers packed up everything we owned that we hadn’t stashed in the corner of our office and shipped it all from New York to California
- A few days after our things were packed up we left New York and made the 45 hour, 3,120-mile drive back home to California
- One week after getting back to California we moved into our house on base
- On July 1st we received our things and started the still ongoing task of finding a place for all of our stuff
- I had my first harp lesson with my teacher that I had been studying with before we left California and moved to New York
- In July I applied at two universities for very late admission for this coming Fall semester
- I also had two extremely late music auditions for the two universities
- One of my best friends who I hadn’t seen since last August, Harpcat, had her 23rd birthday so we went to see her and had an awesome sushi dinner with lots of sake to celebrate of course ;)
- I got to see my other best friend who I hadn’t seen since my going away party last June, Jessicat, who came down to see my new place and play with the new kitten as well as love on Arthas (Sindragosa was having none of it and hid upstairs the whole time she was here)
- Harpcat came over to see my new place, visit all the kitties because she had never met any of them even though I’ve had Arthas and Sindragosa for almost two years now, and she helped me organize the clothes in my closet!
- I had my new dresser delivered, and then delivered again because they had to exchange it. Stupid drawers weren’t closing properly… >_<
Now all of a sudden it’s August. Where the hell has the time gone?! Once I hear back from the second university that I applied to I’ll make a decision on which one I will attend and then I’ll start classes at a real university (this is a big deal for me because I’m the community college Queen) before the month is over.
I’d like to spend the rest of this month being as lazy as humanly possible (and believe me, it’s possible for me to be that lazy!), but I just can’t. I can’t! I have so much to do before school starts, so without further ado, here are my goals for this month to help give me peace of mind during the Fall semester.
- Clean the hell out of my house. The house desperately needs a deep cleaning. I’m talking baseboards, cabinets, sinks, counters, floors, door knobs, windows, blinds, you name it and it probably is on my list. Oh and don’t forget cleaning our stuff that’s in here now too… Must clean all of the things!
- Finish unpacking boxes. My poor house is still chock full of boxes. Little by little Mr. Envoy and I are knocking them out, but maaaaaan I hate unpacking. Hate. HATE! If Mr. Envoy reenlists in 2 years then I’m sure I’ll have multiple opportunities to hone my skills because at that point we’ll be looking at him going career, so that means 8 more years of packing and unpacking. Woo… But in the meantime I stink at unpacking so I have a ton of boxes to get through still. I managed to almost knock out one more kitchen box last night because my spice rack that I ordered from Amazon was delivered yesterday, but I still have probably 25ish boxes to get through. I’m trying to take it one box at a time and do at least one box per day but it’s pretty easy for me to get overwhelmed, especially since a lot of the boxes that are left are those weird miscellaneous boxes where the stuff never had a proper “home” at our last place so I have no idea what to do with them here. Ugh.
- Organize the crap out of my house. One thing that I am not very good at is organization. I’ve been trying to get my life into some semblance of order via a gorgeous planner that I bought and decorate it with adorable stickers, but although my life is kind of getting… less un-organized (gosh it sounds like I’ve made such progress…) my home has always been a mess. We’re talking my housekeeping style is best described as “there appears to have been a struggle”. You think I’m kidding but I’m really not. It’s pretty embarrassing, and let’s face it there’s only so long I can use the “we just moved in” excuse for everything being a disaster. I’m pinning ideas on Pinterest and adding things to my Amazon wishlist to help me out. I know it’s going to take me a long time to get my home where I want it, but in the end it will all be worth it because it will make the next move that much easier.
- Get into a routine for practicing the harp. With school looming just over the horizon I need to get my butt in gear on harp practice. I’m going to be a harp performance major so I need to start getting physically and mentally ready for long practice sessions, learning difficult music, and most importantly getting ready to handle learning a large amount of music very quickly.
- Change my sleep schedule. I’m going to have a lot to get done each day once school starts between harp practice, homework, class reading, cooking, cleaning, pet care, harp gigs, and of course my 80-100 mile (possibly daily) commute to and from school. I need to pretend that I’m a Marine to make this work, and by this I mean I need to get up early and stay mission oriented. No excuses! But in order to get all of this I need to stop trying to sleep in until 9:00 am so I can avoid housework. Yeah, a Marine probably wouldn’t do that. >_>
- Start working out. I hate to admit it but I have put on weight. If I suck my stomach in I’m somewhat okay with how I look because my stomach looks somewhat flat and I still have my hourglass figure, but otherwise I feel like a jiggly mess (although I’m not complaining about the weight I’ve put on in the chest region lol). At one point early last year I was starting to delve into Blogilates workout routines and I think I need to get back into those. This is the month that I still have time to hit it hard before my schedule turns into a hot mess. I need to take the time now, while I have it, and start to create a routine for myself. It’s going to be hard. I’m going to complain a LOT. But I know I need to do this so I’ll be happier and healthier.
- Focus on my blog. I want to focus on my blog way more than I have in the past. I’ve signed up for Blogging 101, a course offered through Blogging University on WordPress, to help me get more post ideas, pick up blogging tips and network with other bloggers. I’m hoping that this course will help me get into more of a habit of posting and that it will also help build my audience. I also really want to plan out my posts and get into a schedule with them so I’ll be ready to go with pre-written posts once the course is over and school starts so I won’t fall behind because I’m “too tired” or just simply don’t have time.
Okay, see? This is why I have a difficult time accomplishing things.. I always aspire to do too much! Oh well, one of these days it’ll work out the way I want, so here’s hoping this month is the month I succeed. Wish me luck!
<3 and harp strings,